Cleaning blinds can be a tedious process. If metal or vinyl blinds are too dirty to wipe easily while they’re hanging in the window, you can either take them down to scrub them yourself or hire a professional to perform an ultrasonic cleaning (find a cleaner on Google under “Window treatments-Cleaning and Repair”). An ultrasonic cleaning will restore slats, cords, and fabric ladders to like-new cleanliness. Fabric blinds can’t be scrubbed, but can be professionally cleaned dry ultrasonic method. Wood blinds cannot be either scrubbed or ultrasonically cleaned; because the finish on wood blinds is much the same as that found on wood furniture, the blinds have to be gently wiped by hand with a soft, damp cloth.
Cleaning Plastic Blinds
Wash ’em Clean! Add 3 drops of dish liquid into a bowl or bucket and fill with warm water. Take a microfibre cloth and dunk it in the mixture, wring well to the point of the cloth being damp-dry. Now, twist the blind slats so they lie completely flat, tilting slightly towards you (so that you can slip your hand in)
- Dusting. To maintain a like-new appearance, dust lightly and regularly with a feather duster.
- Vacuuming. For deeper cleaning, lightly vacuum with the upholstery attachment of any vacuum cleaner.
- Spot Cleaning. Spot clean with a soft cloth or sponge, a mild detergent and warm water. Blot gently and allow to dry completely
Clean Grime from Faux Wood Blinds
- Fill a bucket with warm water and add a teaspoon of mild detergent. …
- Close the blinds, and starting in the top left corner, run the wet cloth along one slat at a time. …
- Work your way across and down the blinds until you’ve cleaned every slat
Tips & Tricks:
- No microfiber cloths on hand? Use an old (but clean!) sock, preferably acrylic or polyester.
- If your vinyl or aluminum blinds are in the kitchen where they are exposed to grease, they may need a deep clean. Take the blinds off the window and place in a bathtub with warm water and dish soap. Let the blinds soak for about an hour. Rise with warm water and wipe away any excess dirt or dust. Let the blinds dry completely before reinstalling.
- If your fabric blinds need more than dusting or spot cleaning, you can take them to the dry cleaner for a thorough refresh.
- It’s important to start at the top of the blinds when you clean, otherwise, dust will fall on areas you’ve already cleaned.
- Vertical blinds can be cleaned using the same method described above. Wipe vertical blinds in a downward motion or they could come unhooked.